When it comes to instant-read thermometers, two of the most popular options on the market are the Thermapen and the Spark. The Thermapen has long been a favorite among professional chefs and home cooks alike, known for its exceptional accuracy and speed. The Spark, on the other hand, is a newer entrant in the market, but it has quickly gained popularity for its design and advanced features. In this article, we will be comparing the two thermometers in terms of design, accuracy, and overall performance to help you make an informed decision about which one to purchase.
- The Fireboard Spark is a new instant-read thermometer with potential to be a game changer
- Can be used as a leave-in thermometer with built-in external probe, unlike the Thermapen which can only be used for instant readings
- Can synchronize with other Fireboard thermometers (2, Drive, Pro) to track temperature of main thermometer
- Slightly slower than Thermapen but still fast and accurate
- Can be paired with Fireboard App and Cloud for remote temperature monitoring via Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Has all the features of the Thermapen and more, making it a versatile and accurate choice.
|Feature||Fireboard Spark||Thermapen One|
|Price||$149 (Check Latest)||$99 (Check Latest)|
|Range||-58 to 572 ̊F (-50 to 300 ̊C)||-58.0 to 572.0°F (-49.9 to 299.9°C)|
|Accuracy||±0.7 ̊F (±0.4 ̊C) from -4 to 392 ̊F (-20 to 200 ̊C); ±1.8 ̊F (±1.0 ̊C) full range||±0.5°F (±0.3°C) from -4 to 248°F (-20 to 120°C); otherwise ±1.8°F (±1.0°C)|
|Resolution||1.0° or 0.1°||1°|
|Sensor Speed||1 second||1 second|
|External Probe Port||100K Thermistor FireBoard Probes (probe not included)||4.3 L inches x 0.12″ dia. High Performance Type K Thermocouple|
|Battery||2600mAh Li-Ion rechargeable battery||1.5 volt AAA, 2,000 hours|
|Display||192×64 LCD, Backlit||1 H x 1.54 W inches (25 H x 39 W mm) LCD, rotates 360°, Backlight|
|Dimensions||6.25″ x 1.4″ x 1.1″ (159mm x 37mm x 27mm)||6.1 W x 1.7 H x 0.74 D inches (156 W x 48 H x 19 D mm)|
|Weight||5oz (145 grams)||0.25 lbs (115g)|
|Included in Box||FireBoard Spark Thermometer, USB-C charging cable, AmazingRibs Food Temperature Guide, Quick Start Guide||N/A|
|Synchronize with other thermometer||yes||No|
|Remote monitoring via app||yes||No|
Spark vs Thermapen
For starters, the Fireboard Spark can be used as a leave-in thermometer, thanks to its built-in external probe. This means you can leave it in your food or grill while it cooks, and still get an instant readout on the temperature. This is a huge advantage over the Thermapen, which can only be used for instant readings.
Another cool feature of the Spark is its ability to synchronize with other Fireboard thermometers. If you have a Fireboard 2, Drive, or Pro, you can use the Spark to track the temperature of your main thermometer. This is a great feature for anyone who wants to keep an eye on the temperature of their food while it cooks.
In terms of speed and accuracy, the Fireboard Spark is slightly slower than the Thermapen, but it’s still extremely fast and accurate.
The new version of the Thermapen has a one second reading time, which is faster than previous versions, but the Spark is still within a second of the Thermapen. The Thermapen is also 0.5°F more accurate than previous versions, but the Spark’s accuracy is still very impressive.
Another advantage of the Spark is its ability to be paired with the Fireboard App and Cloud, which allows you to track your temperatures over Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. This is a great feature for anyone who wants to monitor their food’s temperature remotely.
Overall, the Fireboard Spark is a great new thermometer that has the potential to replace the Thermapen as the best on the market. It has all the features of the Thermapen, and then some, making it a great choice for anyone who wants a versatile and accurate thermometer.
How They Compare
- The Fireboard Spark is a new thermometer that has the potential to replace the Thermapen as the best on the market.
- The Fireboard Spark matches the Thermapen in every category.
- The Spark can be used as a leave-in thermometer and can run an external thermometer probe.
- The Spark can synchronize with other Fireboard thermometers, such as the Fireboard 2, Drive, and Pro.
- The new version of the Thermapen has a one second reading time, which is faster than previous versions.
- The Thermapen is 0.5°F more accurate than previous versions.
- The new Thermapen has a brighter back light.
- The Thermapen comes with a 5-year warranty.
- The new Thermapen has an easy access battery that holds one AAA battery.
- The Spark is slightly slower than the Thermapen, but still very fast.
- The Spark can be paired with the Fireboard App and Cloud, and can be used over Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
- The Spark can synchronize with other Fireboard thermometers.
- The Spark has a built-in external probe that allows it to be used as a leave-in thermometer.
- The Spark has an NFC scanner for labeling readings.
Fireboard Spark – A Closer Look
After playing around with this thermometer, I think the FireBoard Spark is one of the best instant-reads to come out in the last decade. It’s small enough to fit in your pocket, but packed with features that make it a versatile and powerful device.
With its instant-read thermocouple probe and external probe port, I found it very easy to track the temperature data over the length of the cook, making it easy to ensure the food is cooked to the target internal temperature.
The most awesome feature is the remote monitoring. The FireBoard mobile app allows you to monitor your cook from anywhere, giving you the freedom to step away from your smoker or grill without worrying about your meat.
It also has a function called SyncMode, and you can even transform the Spark into a desktop display, making it easy to keep an eye on all your FireBoard temperatures at a glance.
There’s also other features worth mentioning. The Spark is also waterproof, NFC-enabled for easy labeling, and has built-in magnets for convenient storage.
It has a long-lasting battery, so you can use it for months on a single charge. Overall, I was super impressed by this thermometer. The FireBoard Spark is a worthwhile purchase for anyone looking to up their cooking game.
- Haptic feedback indicates a successful instant-read has been captured
- NFC scanner allows for wireless labeling of instant-read temperatures
- SyncMode allows the Spark to act as a remote monitor for other FireBoard devices
- Magnetic enclosure allows for storage on metal surfaces
- Cloud connected for remote monitoring, configuration, and management of cooking sessions via mobile app or cloud dashboard.
|Price||$149 (Check Latest)|
|Range||-58 to 572 ̊F (-50 to 300 ̊C)|
|Accuracy||±0.7 ̊F (±0.4 ̊C) from -4 to 392 ̊F (-20 to 200 ̊C); ±1.8 ̊F (±1.0 ̊C) full range|
|Resolution||1.0° or 0.1°|
|Sensor Speed||1 second|
|External Probe Port||100K Thermistor FireBoard Probes (probe not included)|
|Battery||2600mAh Li-Ion rechargeable battery|
|Display||192×64 LCD, Backlit|
|Dimensions||6.25″ x 1.4″ x 1.1″ (159mm x 37mm x 27mm)|
|Weight||5oz (145 grams)|
|Included in Box||FireBoard Spark Thermometer, USB-C charging cable, AmazingRibs Food Temperature Guide, Quick Start Guide|
The Thermapen ONE is a thermometer that’s known for its speed and accuracy. It’s an “instant-read” thermometer, which means it can give you full temperature readings in just one second. And it’s accurate to within ±0.5°F (±0.3°C), which is pretty impressive.
It’s also got a few other cool features, like a brighter backlight display and a patented 360° auto-rotating display that uses accelerometer technology to turn the screen right-side up.
It’s waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof, and it even has a foldaway design that protects the probe when it’s not in use. Plus, it’s got Biomaster Antimicrobial Silver Ion Technology to reduce microbial growth, and it’s hand washable for easy cleaning.
All in all, it’s a pretty versatile tool that’s suitable for use in a variety of settings, from home kitchens to professional restaurants and labs. It even comes with a five-year warranty, so you can trust that it’ll last.
- Fast and accurate temperature readings
- Improved accuracy specification of ± 0.5°F (± 0.3°C)
- Brighter backlight with improved light sensor
- 5-year warranty against defects on the newly designed rugged, waterproof case
|Price||$99 (check latest)|
|Range||-58.0 to 572.0°F (-49.9 to 299.9°C)|
|Accuracy||±0.5°F (±0.3°C) from -4 to 248°F (-20 to 120°C); otherwise ±1.8°F (±1.0°C)|
|Response Time||1 second|
|Probe||4.3 L inches x 0.12″ dia. High Performance Type K Thermocouple|
|Display||1 H x 1.54 W inches (25 H x 39 W mm) LCD, rotates 360°, Backlight|
|Sleep Mode||10 to 180 seconds|
|Operating Range||-4 to 122°F (-20 to 50°C)|
|Battery||1.5 volt AAA, 2,000 hours|
|Dimensions||6.1 W x 1.7 H x 0.74 D inches (156 W x 48 H x 19 D mm)|
|Weight||0.25 lbs (115g)|
|Certificate||Includes NIST-traceable calibration certificate|